Re: sources.list directory specification

On 03/09/11 08:27, Lisi wrote:
On Friday 02 September 2011 13:18:00 Scott Ferguson wrote:
Enabling those repositories on a constant basis means you have no
idea what will come down if you go:- # apt-get update; apt-get
upgrade (or dist-upgrade)

I have backports permanently enabled, but packages are only
downloaded if I explicitly ask for them (-t lenny-backports) and are
only updated from the backports repository if I have explicitly
installed from there.  The marvellous Debian sets the pinning
appropriately automatically:

/etc/apt/preferences

Package: * Pin: release a=lenny-backports Pin-Priority: 200

So - you are just doing as I suggested. Being selective (except you were doing it long before I suggested it, and I was only echoing the documentation)

"Hidden" in my original post was this:-

Yes - though you might consider reading up on pinning.
;-p

I update daily on my main machine, and full-upgrade if there are
updates.  And I have done this for some years, and on more than one
computer, without a problem.

Likewise when I used Lenny (and Etch) as desktops - it wasn't until I started using KDE4 backported packages that things went awry.

Everything else gets updated from the Lenny repositories when I
aptitude full-upgrade (the equivalent of apt-get dist-upgrade), other
than things that came out of the multimedia, opera or google-chrome
repositories.

Lisi

And you've had no problems with transcode (ffmpeg etc) and vlc from
Multimedia breaking stuff??

Cheers

--
"I'm so tired....
I need my sleep, I really do, I need about 8 hours a day - and about 10