Re: Billion 7800N

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 10:52:43 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> On 29 August 2011 22:56, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
> <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br>wrote:
>
>> On Dom, 28 Ago 2011, Heddle Weaver wrote:
>>
>>> O.K.I removed ppp, as it wasn't required,

Not at all because the router should have a ppp client embedded and
already setup.

>>> which, of course, removed
>>> pppoe and pppoeconf, because they depend on it and now I have:
>>>
>>> Bandit:/home/weaver# route -n
>>>
>>> Kernel IP routing table
>>>
>>> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
>>>
>>> Bandit:/home/weaver#
>>>
>>> .....No ppp!
>>>
>>> Isn't it great?

It's fantastic :-P

>>> And then, of course, we have:
>>>
>>> Bandit:/home/weaver# ifconfig -a
>>>
>>> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:15:60:c2:63:46
>>>
>>> [and so on]
>>>

>> You seem to be missing dhcp. Your /etc/network/interfaces should have
>> these lines
>>
>> auto eth0
>> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>>

> Well, it does.
> But that's all it has.
> Work in progress and will advise of outcomes. Regards and thanks,
>
> Weaver.

Well, you need to understand what it is going on.

- pppd service is removed because your device is not a modem but a router
and you don't need to run this service on the client (the same way you
don't run it in windows, right?)

- Your ethernet card needs to be filled with data, and you can do this by
using dhcp or by manually adding the data.

So start by giving us the output of:

cat /etc/network/interfaces
cat /etc/resolv.conf
ifconfig eth0