Re: Fwd: Billion 7800N

On 27 August 2011 06:10, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> wrote:
On 08/26/2011 04:08 PM, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> All ISPs in Australia employ PPPoE.
> PPPoA is available, in many instances also.

And elsewhere too, but your modem appears to be a router. In this case,
it handles PPPoE by itself, and all you need is to get an ip from it via
dhcp.

Yes.

It probably has a bridge mode in which your computer has to establish
the PPPoE connection, but unless you have a specific reason to want it,
let the modem do it.

Yes, in fact it has a separate port for bridging to a modem in the situation of a fibre network (for example0, but we don't need to be concerned with that here. The computer is plugged into one of the four LAN ports, on the router, from the ethernet port on the laptop.

In other words, get rid of ppp. You don't need it.

O.K.I removed ppp, as it wasn't required, which, of course, removed pppoe and pppoeconf, because they depend on it and now I have:

Bandit:/home/weaver# route -n

Kernel IP routing table

Bandit:/home/weaver#

.....No ppp!

Isn't it great?

And then, of course, we have:

Bandit:/home/weaver# ifconfig -a

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:15:60:c2:63:46

BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Interrupt:16

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

LOOPBACK MTU:16436 Metric:1

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Which also endorses the fact that I have no connection whatsoever!

We have consistency!

I used to have a LAN problem and now I don't have it any more!

A LAN, I mean, and lesser minds would be somewhat nonplussed by this.

But not me!

A mere bagatelle!

It's a unique way of dealing with a problem that I simply haven't come across before, for some obscure reason.

If you have a problem within any given environment, simply remove the environment!

Just think of the potential in regard to other more major issues!

Planetary pollution?

Simply remove the planet!

Here I await,

Breath abate,

for even greater revelations from this list.

Please, keep them coming.

I get my new, secondhand PC delivered tomorrow morning.

Stand by for the next episode in 'Weaver - Lost In The Network!'

Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.