Re: System crash when swithing to text-console

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 22:58:14 +0200, Martin Lorenz wrote:

> Am 10.08.2011 16:07, schrieb Camaleón:

(..)

>>> I had some tail -f's running in ssh-sessions on
>>> /var/log/{debug|messages|Xorg.0.log}
>>> All I see is the "shutdown" Broadcast message and Log-entries. Nothing
>>> more.
>>
>> Then it can be royaly freezing (a soft kernel freeze) not just X. If
>> you get no useful logs, you may need a second computer attached to one
>> of the serial ports of your main system (the one that crashes) to catch
>> something...
>>

> the system does not have a serial port. maybe there is one on the MB ...
> however it is not wired to the case.

Well, I've already seen that you have catched a kernel panic by using
netconsole, the tool that recommended Vivek, so I would open a bug report
for that unless you are a kernel hacker and now how to interpret that :-)

>> What VGA driver are you using? Whatever it is, try to disable KMS to
>> see if that makes any difference... or if you are currently running
>> "non-KMS" try with the opposite :-)
>>

> the driver (module) is i915
> I changed the "options" line to modeset=0 (was modeset=1) without any
> success
> Also tried nomodeset at the grub kernel-bootline, no success either
>
> the kernel unfortunately dosen't have /proc/config.gz enabled, so I
> could not check if CONSOLE_FB is enabled.
>
> maybe I have to bake my own kernel ...

Kernel config is available under /boot/*, so you can check it with:

grep -i console /boot/config-`uname -r`

Greetings,

--
Camaleón