Re: System crash when swithing to text-console

Am 10.08.2011 16:07, schrieb Camaleón:
> On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 21:46:09 +0200, Martin Lorenz wrote:
>
>> Am 08.08.2011 17:23, schrieb Camaleón:
>>> On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 13:54:09 +0200, Martin Lorenz wrote:
>>>
>>> (...)

>>> How about ssh? Can you still login via shh?
>>>

>> nope
>> all running ssh-sessions to that machine freeze the moment it tries to
>> switch to console.
>>
>> I had some tail -f's running in ssh-sessions on
>> /var/log/{debug|messages|Xorg.0.log}
>> All I see is the "shutdown" Broadcast message and Log-entries. Nothing
>> more.
>
> Then it can be royaly freezing (a soft kernel freeze) not just X. If you
> get no useful logs, you may need a second computer attached to one of the
> serial ports of your main system (the one that crashes) to catch
> something...

the system does not have a serial port.
maybe there is one on the MB ... however it is not wired to the case.

>>> Maybe something related to the VGA card driver or KMS... is there
>>> something interesting in the logs ("/var/log/syslog" or "/var/log/
>>> Xorg.0.log")?
>>>

>> No, at least nothing that seems even vaguely related to the crash.
>
> What VGA driver are you using? Whatever it is, try to disable KMS to see
> if that makes any difference... or if you are currently running "non-KMS"
> try with the opposite :-)

the driver (module) is i915
I changed the "options" line to modeset=0 (was modeset=1) without any
success
Also tried nomodeset at the grub kernel-bootline,
no success either

the kernel unfortunately dosen't have /proc/config.gz enabled, so I
could not check if CONSOLE_FB is enabled.

maybe I have to bake my own kernel ...

greets
martin