Re: autoinstalled packages

On 13/08/11 01:25, Ivan Shmakov wrote:
Sven Joachim<svenjoac@gmx.de>  writes:
On 2011-08-12 15:51 +0200, Bonno Bloksma wrote:

<snipped>

	I guess that # apt-get install isc-dhcp-client may do the same
	(provided that there's no newer version of the package in the
	repositories.)

As of a few hours ago there is a newer version.

	Also there's the APT::Get::AutomaticRemove option, which, if set
	to false, I expect to prevent APT from removing the
	automatically installed packages.

I'm not sure that works the way you expect - but I haven't had a chance to check. My foggy memory is that it refuses to remove any packages if a package selected to be removed doesn't want to go alone.

dpkg has the --auto-deconfigure parameter eg:-
# dpkg -r --auto-deconfigure dhcp3-client

The simulate/dryrun parameter is recommended.

	However, what I'm interested in right now, is how do I access
	the list of autoinstalled packages with plain APT or dpkg(1)?

I don't have any "autoinstalled" packages (whatever that means) on my system so I can't test.
Try:-

dpkg -l *dummy* | less

OR

dpkg -l *transitional* | less

dpkg-query will do similar things. As I'm not certain what you mean by autoinstalled I can't be certain those methods will work. To me autoinstalled might mean "not needed" - which I avoid by using "ignore recommends", deborphan, and debfoster. Your results should prove instructive.

Cheers

PS. This might do what you want:-
# apt-get -s autoremove | less
If it then looks safe to proceed...:-
# apt-get autoremove

--
“This needs to be said: there never was a war. "How can you say that, Bill?" Well, a war is when two armies are fighting. So you can see, right there, there never was a war … People say to me, "Hey, Bill, the war made us feel better about ourselves." Really? What kind of people are these with such low self-esteem that they need a war to feel better about themselves? May I suggest, instead of a war to feel better about yourself, perhaps … sit-ups? Maybe a fruit cup? Eight glasses of water a day?”
~ Bill Hicks