Re: installing debian from USB... IS IT POSSIBLE?

On Thu 28 Jul 2011 at 23:12:32 +0200, Per Carlson wrote:

> Where the first sentence reads: "To prepare the USB stick, you will
> need a system where GNU/Linux is already running and where USB is
> supported.". So, to install Debian from an USB-stick you need a system
> where Debian (for example) is installed. Smells recursion here :-)
>
> IMHO there should be some hints what to do if the user currently is
> running something else than GNU/Linux, like Windows or OS X.

This doesn't sound unreasonable as a suggestion but the Installation
Manual may not be best place to put such hints. In the FAQ at

http://www.debian.org/CD/

there are sections for recording a CD-R under Windows and Mac OS so,
considering all the CD images are recordable to a USB stick, this may be
a more suitable document to offer any advice you think is useful.

I'd suggest you contact one of the mailing lists mentioned on that page
(debian-boot?) and make some proposals for improving the information for
users of other OSs wanting to put a Debian image on a USB medium.