Re: installing debian from USB... IS IT POSSIBLE?

On 29/07/11 07:12, Per Carlson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 09:15, Scott Ferguson
> <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes it's with the official documentation:-
>> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04.html.en
>
> Where the first sentence reads: "To prepare the USB stick, you will
> need a system where GNU/Linux is already running and where USB is
> supported.". So, to install Debian from an USB-stick you need a system
> where Debian (for example) is installed. Smells recursion here :-)

It's not "recursive". It's "nit-picking" (and it does smell). :-)

> IMHO there should be some hints what to do if the user currently is
> running something else than GNU/Linux, like Windows or OS X.
Which version of Windoof?
How about Plan 9, Oberon, AmigaOS, OS/2, and many, many others?
Should one particular piece of third-party software needed for a
non-Debian OS should be suggested over another? Those are all potential
problems with including the information you desire into that particular
piece of documentation.

The original complainer was not unable to find the answer - just too
lazy to filter and read. I agree that too much Debian related
information is (selfishly?) on personal websites and blogs *instead* of
on the main Debian site. The debian wiki is a good place for that -
provided any solutions given promote practices in keeping with the
Debian Social contract, standards and procedures.

1. Download a live CD.
2. Learn to use a search engine.
3. Contribute to the wiki.debian.org (please).
4. Realise that no matter how much you'd like it to be different - the
world owes you nothing, and knowledge comes from effort - not something
sprinkled on your breakfast cereal.

Sometimes the solution is not as "simple" as the question.

Hint: ask the "right question" in the "right way" and the answer is
easy. example queries that will get the answer:-
http://www.google.com/search?q=how+do+i+install+debian+from+a+usb+key
http://www.google.com/search?q=debian+installation+from+a+usb+stick
http://www.google.com/search?q=installing+debian+without+a+cdrom
or ask duckduckgo "how do i install debian from windows"

Cheers

--
“I never got along with my dad.
Kids used to come up to me and say, "My dad can beat up your dad."