Re: installing debian from USB... IS IT POSSIBLE?

On 28/07/11 16:48, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On 20110727_234546, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> The official Debian howto have always been reliable - the signal to
>
> I cannot find the official Debian howto.

Why?
Seriously.
I'm sure the writers would love to work out a way to make their work
more accessible - just as many of the readers of this list would
appreciate *not* being asked the same question over and over. Change the
search query I provided to include the last year and see how many times
the exact same question has been asked.

Debian.org => Getting Debian => Installation Guide

Hand holding is one thing - spoon feeding is another.
Before you accuse me of not being helpful please consider the effort
that has been made to write the documentation - and measure it against
the effort you made to read it. The same documentation is available on
any of the install DVDs.

> Can you give a link to it?

Yes it's with the official documentation:-
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04.html.en

> I think you are mistaken about there being an official Debian howto.

I disagree.

> I find many Debian howtos on many topics, many of which are related to
> installing Debian.
>
>> noise ratio on the larger web is pretty poor (monkey see, monkey copy
>> and paste), especially when search terms are not tuned .
>> eg. to search these lists:-
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=lang_en&tbs=qdr%3Am%2Clr%3Alang_1en&q=usb+install+site%3Alists.debian.org%2Fdebian-user+-dirk&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=
>
> On my machine, this link brings up pages full of links to individual
> emails in this present discussion. I would not say any of them is
> official Debian, especially the OP text.

"The larger web". (for those who eschew the official documentation)

Meaning that if people are too lazy to look on Debian.org, but motivated
to write to the list - the very least they could do is search the list.
I appreciate that some, for whatever reason, don't know how to do that -
so I've provided a custom search link.  I certainly would have expected
that you wouldn't need that assistance - it was written for search engines.

Cheers

--
I get a kick out of being an outsider constantly. It allows me to be
creative.