Re: installing debian from USB... IS IT POSSIBLE?

On 26/07/11 18:38, Mark Grieveson wrote:
for the love of everything that doesn't suck...

could it be any harder to find a USB stick image to install debian
from?

(snip)

Wow, I just spent the last five minutes laughing.  Even though I don't
feel this is the most productive way to ask for assistance, I must
confess to being able to relate to it due to having felt similar
frustration in the past.

In trying myself to find an answer to how to get an iso for a
usb-stick, I found it was a bit of a maze.  From many of the links on
the issue, I was led to this:
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/mini.iso

(snip)

Anyway, seems confusing to me, too.  Given that some usb-sticks can
store even more material than a dvd, and given that usb-sticks are
commonly the only removable drives on a lot of computer devices today
(IE, laptops), why the links for installing Debian group usb-sticks as
"other images (netboot, usb stick, floppy, etc)", rather than having a
specific entry for it as they do for cdrom, dvd, and even blu-ray, is a
mystery.

So, can the netinst-cdrom image be used with a usb-stick?  And if so,
why the different listing for usb-sticks?  And if not, why not?

I don't know why the different listings exist. Maybe this part of the Debian site could do with a partial rewrite.

The Wheezy netinst-cdrom image can certainly be used with a USB stick (and a USB hard disk too). I've successfully used this method to install a number of test systems recently.

--
Dom

--
Dom