Re: How I can remove my folder icons in desktop screen?

On 2011-07-20, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 16:21:14 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
>
>> On 2011-07-20, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>
>>> I also wonder what all that pre-set folders are for.
>>
>> Applications which follow the specification use these folders without
>> requiring the user to configure them manually. So firefox, for example,
>> will use the DOWNLOAD directory to save downloaded files. OpenOffice
>> will save new documents in DOCUMENTS, etc. Both applications can be
>> configured to use alternative locations.
>
> Yes, I know that applications find that variables very useful to set
> their defaults but I wondered if what apps find useful match with user's
> POW :-)

POW?

> (i.e., I have instructed Firefox to drop files under my $HOME/Desktop
> because I barely use the rest of those predefined folders)

So you can set DOWNLOADS=Desktop in xdg-user-dirs and you don't have to
instruct firefox or any other compliant application. The idea is that
you only need to do it once. Furthermore, you can choose which
predefined folders to use and disregard the rest.

>>> It should be nice to
>>> have a simple "switch" to turn them off/on.
>>
>> See /etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf.
>
> I have nothing in there:
>
> sm01@stt008:~$ LANG=POSIX cat /etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf
> cat: /etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf: No such file or directory

It is supplied by xdg-user-dirs:

$ apt-file search /etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf
xdg-user-dirs: /etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf

> Anyway, I said a "simple swicth" that in GNOME usually means tweaking
> "gconf", not having to dive into configurations files ;-)

I don't think GNOME gives you that. The situation is unlikely to improve
in GNOME 3.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland