Re: How I can remove my folder icons in desktop screen?

On 2011-07-19 16:54, Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 07:52:17 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
>
>> On 2011-07-19, Stanisław Findeisen <stf@eisenbits.com> wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>
>>> Hm, I just deleted all those funny dirs in my $HOME: Music, Pictures...
>>> and Desktop. When I rebooted (or so) I found all my $HOME subdirs
>>> (well, at least many) on the desktop.
>>>
>>> How to disable that?
>>>
>>> I disabled /apps/nautilus/preferences/desktop_is_home_dir and I
>>> recreated $HOME/Desktop, and even rebooted, but it didn't help.
>>>
>>> ??
>>>
>>> This is Debian Squeeze (and GNOME).
>>
>> Sounds like the work of xdg-user-dirs:
>>
>> 	http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs
>
> There is a package available with that name ("xdg-user-dirs"), may be it
> is required to tweak and set that settings :-?

In $HOME/.config/user-dirs.dirs I changed the line:

XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME"

to:

XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"

and commented out the rest.

This removed the icons from the desktop, but also recreated those
Pictures ... etc. dirs.

Then I tried this:

# This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update
# If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're
# interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run
# Format is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped
# homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an
# absolute path. No other format is supported.
#
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/tmp"
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/tmp"
XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/tmp"
XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/tmp"
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/tmp"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/tmp"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/tmp"

and it seems to work (no icons, no dirs) however I don't know if it has
any side effect or not.

Uninstalling xdg-user-dirs is not possible since Gnome depends on it. In
fact, Gnome depends even on packages such as evolution-plugins or
totem-mozilla. 8-|

--
http://people.eisenbits.com/~stf/
http://www.eisenbits.com/