Re: How I can remove my folder icons in desktop screen?

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 16:21:14 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:

> On 2011-07-20, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> I also wonder what all that pre-set folders are for.
>
> Applications which follow the specification use these folders without
> requiring the user to configure them manually. So firefox, for example,
> will use the DOWNLOAD directory to save downloaded files. OpenOffice
> will save new documents in DOCUMENTS, etc. Both applications can be
> configured to use alternative locations.

Yes, I know that applications find that variables very useful to set
their defaults but I wondered if what apps find useful match with user's
POW :-)

(i.e., I have instructed Firefox to drop files under my $HOME/Desktop
because I barely use the rest of those predefined folders)

>> It should be nice to
>> have a simple "switch" to turn them off/on.
>
> See /etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf.

I have nothing in there:

sm01@stt008:~$ LANG=POSIX cat /etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf
cat: /etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf: No such file or directory

Anyway, I said a "simple swicth" that in GNOME usually means tweaking
"gconf", not having to dive into configurations files ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón