Success! no longer stranded between lenny and squeeze

On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 01:45:54 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 17:53:50 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the advice.  I'll ssh in and if the text consoles don't
>> reappear after completing the upgrade, I can investigate further at
>> leisure.
>
> Upgrade completed using ssh over a LAN.  Unfortunately, I won't have
> time to reboot and see if the text consoles reappear until tomorrow.
>
> -- hendrik

When I got back to the machine just now, it was still running an X
session.  I was able to close a few windows and log out.  But then it was
black screen completely -- no text consoles *or* gdm logins available.

I did a hard reset to reboot the machine.  It recovered my file systems
nicely (they're reiser or ext3), and came up, complete with text consoles
and gdm login prompt.  I logged in through gdm and started Pan to post
this message.

This is a success.  Thanks for all the advice, especially for the caveats
about what might go wrong, but, because I knew what to be careful of, it
didn't.

-- hendrik.