Re: Stranded between lenny and squeeze

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 01:47:38 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
>(...)
>
>> Or is there some devious trick I'm missing?  Will an ssh connection from
>> another machine survive the upgrade process, for example?
>
>Yes, I would try that way.
>
>Given your current situation I'd say a SSH session would be more than
>convenient. The system is already installed and an upgrade should not
>broke the network service.

Please note that he runs GDM, therefor probably a Gnome session and
these are likely to have Network Manager :)

Hendrik, you might want to refrain from using an SSH connection to
update, as Network Manager tends to stop all network connections when
it is restartet (automatically by the upgrade process).

I would suggest you boot into the "recovery mode" which you choose in
your Grub menu and hope that you get a decent text console then.

To fix the problem of these text consoles, it might be worth knowing
which graphics hardware you are using and maybe the output
of /proc/cmdline, as newer KMS-enabled kernels usually don’t like
statements as "vga=791" :)

If you absolutely have to use an SSH connection, install screen
beforehand and run the upgrade from inside screen, so it can continue
when the connection drops. To do so, simply

apt-get install screen
- log out off GDM -
- connect remotely -
screen -RD
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
- if the connection drops, connect again and run -
screen -RD

You should then have all the output back you’ve seen before :)

Of course, tmux will also work.

Best regards,

Claudius
--
I like your game but we have to change the rules.
Please use GPG: ECB0C2C7 4A4C4046 446ADF86 C08112E5 D72CDBA4