Stranded between lenny and squeeze

I'm in the middle of the upgrade from lenny to squeeze.  I have a
partially working system.  I've been following the instruction ins the
release notes, http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/
ch-upgrading.en.html and I've gotten as far as upgrading the kernel and
udev.

hendrik@april:~$ uname -a
Linux april 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 14 09:42:28 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/
Linux
hendrik@april:~$

Both seemed to go well, and I'm now booting into a squeeze kernel and
seem to have no problems identifying my partitions correctly and my
netwerk is coming up properly, evidenced by me being able to post this
message using Pan.

But I'm stuck.  The next step is to issue

apt-get dist-upgrade

but I can't figure out where to type this in.  I can log in using gdm,
but terminals found there may expire during the upgrade, leaving
everything in an inconsistent state.

And I can't use cntl-alt-F1 to get a text console, because all I get is a
blank black screen.  Is gdm taking over the text consoles and disallowing
them?  How do I get my text consoles back so I can proceed with the rest
of the upgrade?

Or is there some devious trick I'm missing?  Will an ssh connection from
another machine survive the upgrade process, for example?

-- hendrik