Re: NetworkManager (was: Re: Stranded between lenny and squeeze)

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 14:01:18 +0200, Claudius Hubig wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>I run GDM and NM is off :-)
>
> Let’s just say that GDM is a good indicator of someone also using NM.

A notebook or a portable system is more inclided to be an indicator for
NM presence but not a DE or a display manager :-)

I disable NM in all of my workstations that run GNOME.

>>But I take your point: if NM is not even capable of surviving from a
>>remote ssh session then here you have a very good reason to disable it
>>ASAP.
>
> It ‘simply’ drops all network connections, though I have to admit I
> don’t know wether they are automatically re-established. I also have to
> admit that I actually use NM because it is the most convenient way to
> connect to various Wifi networks (university, home, friends etc…),
> mobile 3G networks, Ethernet networks and run scripts accordingly (using
> /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d).

Yep, NM can have its uses but I would think twice before having it
enabled by default. I keep it installed (though disabled) just in case,
only for an emergency. I understand that having a mobile device with
multiple networks is a good reason to have it on.

> Of course, this would also work with guessnet and a bunchload of other,
> smaller, and less error-prone tools, but the resulting script hell
> created by me would definitely be more damageable.

Sure, when NM works fine, well, it works and takes care for all the
scripting in behind which is very convenient for its purpose (connect and
forget).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón