Re: monitor detection maybe not working

On 07/02/2011 07:40 AM, Brian wrote:
On Fri 01 Jul 2011 at 20:47:02 -0700, Paul Scott wrote:

On 07/01/2011 03:46 PM, Brian wrote:
xrandr believes VGA-1 is only capable of 1024x768.  Why do you believe
1280x1024 is possible?
1.  The monitor keeps telling me it works better at 1280x1024.
Mine has a button to press which tells me the optimum resolution and the
one being used.

My ViewSonic VA703b periodically puts a message on the screen (dismissable) that I am not running at native resolution.

2.  ddcprobe gives several 1280x1024 choices.
Yes.

There is a direct connection between the monitor and the video adapter?

AFAIK
vbe: VESA 3.0 detected.
oem:
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
product: CR17 Board Chip Rev A3
Which is just a different classification from the one in your first
post, I expect.

Why?  Nothing has changed.
memory: 32768kb
mode: 640x400x256
mode: 640x480x256
mode: 800x600x16
mode: 800x600x256
mode: 320x200x64k
mode: 320x200x16m
mode: 640x480x64k
mode: 640x480x16m
mode: 800x600x64k
mode: 800x600x16m
But the card doesn't do 1280x1024 or 1024x768.

Why do you say that?  From my original post this hardware used to work.

  I wonder how trustworthy
xresprobe is and what /var/log/Xorg.0.log says.

The nouveau driver - have you tried it? No xorg.conf required.

I have tried most nVidia drivers. I believe my working configuration from a couple of months ago required me
to provide xorg.conf even though it should no longer be needed.
Move it
out of the way if there is one and revert any changes you may have made
to stop nouveau operating.

My original post in this thread was about my monitor not being correctly detected.

I didn't mention that read-edid does not read my monitor info correctly even though ddcprobe does.

Paul