Re: GRUB failure

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Joel Roth wrote:

On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 03:07:24AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
Hello.

I have a "laptop" computer with winXP Pro, Unbuntu 8.04 and Debian 5 (I think it is 5), installed.

With a recent electricity supply failure, I ran an orderly shutdown
on the computer.

Since that shutown, each time that I reboot the computer, it takes
me to the GRUB prompt (rather than the GRUB boot menu), and
I cannot boot the computer into any operating system.

How do I get GRUB to configure itself, to detect the installed operating systems so the computer is usable once again?

I would suggest burning a copy of the Grub Super Boot Disk
and booting from that. Once you get the OS booted, you can
re-install Grub.

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Or, has GRUB destroyed the software build of the computer, and all of the data, requiring a complete reinstallation of all of
the operating systems installed on the computer?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

Hello.

Thank you for that.

In going to that URL, there are two SuperGRUB downloads, and a "Rescatux" download.

Would I be better to use the SuperGRUB thing, or the RescaTux thing?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale