Re: No more GRUB legacy at install time since wheezy?

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 19:52:31 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Ma, 28 iun 11, 13:42:51, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> GRUB legacy package is still available in Debian repos, is just the
>> installer that does not present the option to get it by default. And
>> being the expert installer, having both options would be more than
>> reasonable, IMO.
>
> The transition from grub1 to grub2 is over, I don't see a reason to
> offer grub1 as an option in the installer (which means additional code
> that needs to be maintained),

You mean that using preseeding and choosing GRUB legacy won't be a
supported scenario anymore?

***
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apbs04.html#preseed-bootloader

B.4.11. Boot loader installation

(...)

# With a few exceptions for unusual partitioning setups, GRUB 2 is now the
# default. If you need GRUB Legacy for some particular reason, then
# uncomment this:
#d-i grub-installer/grub2_instead_of_grub_legacy boolean false
***

> unless you want to argue about also having lilo, extlinux, syslinux, ...

Good point... but LILO is still there (while its percentage of use is
closest to GRUB's legacy) and extlinux, well... if we attend to the
popcon stats, GRUB legacy is more installed that extlinux so if there is
room for an additional installer, that should be GRUB legacy:

***
By % of installations (descending↓):

GRUB 2: 53.74%
LILO: 2.07%