Re: Hibernate fails

On 26/06/11 07:26, Carl Fink wrote:
> Sorry about the delay in answering. This is my personal netbook, and my job
> has kept me too busy to spend any time fiddling with it for several days.

No worries (busy time of year here too).

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 02:41:48PM +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

<snipped>

>> Does the wifi work for you (under Debian)??

<snipped>

> It works flawlessly under Debian.

I'm "assuming" you haven't been using WPA - everything I've read seems
to indicate you'd need a file at:-
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

NOTE: I don't have a machine running Wheezy, and I don't run
NetworkManager - though I'm aware it doesn't seem to use ifconfig.

<snipped>

> There is no such file. On the off chance that you want it, here are the
> contents of /etc/dbus-1/system.d/wpa_supplicant.conf:

Thanks - (can't say I understand it)

<snipped>

>> What do you use to handle wpa_supplicant's networks?? (eg. wicd,
>> NetworkManager)
>
> I use nm-applet.

I've attached a dummy wpa_supplicant.conf - try copying it to
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Then try to hibernate:-
# echo disk > /sys/power/state

Note: it's not necessary to hibernate from the cli, it just reduces the
chances of other factors causing problems, and allows you to see any
output from the command that the gui hibernate function calls

If successful, try connecting to a wireless network that uses WPA, or
WPA2. Or RSN/WPA2/WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK/WPA w.EAP/RSN-PMKSA etc etc :-/

If that fails then NetworkManager probably does use the .conf file we've
created and it might be necessary to put real information in it (maybe
also to create an entry in /etc/network/interfaces as well).
Please check /var/log for wpa_supplicant output and post here, also the
section of lspci showing your wireless device.
If it fails please post the /var/log/pm-suspend.log (just the output
from that attempt), and /var/log/wpa_supplicant