Re: Hibernate fails

On 20/06/11 04:27, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 02:05:07PM +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>
>> Please repeat the last process - except this time toggle off blue tooth
>> and any other wireless devices beforehand.
>> Be sure to wait at least ten minutes after running:-
>> echo disk > /sys/power/state
>> Afterwards please post the output of:-
>> cat /var/log/pm-suspend.log | grep Failed
>
> Done. Here's the output:
>
> Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
> Having NetworkManager put all interaces to sleep...Failed.
> Having NetworkManager put all interaces to sleep...Failed.
> Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
> Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
> Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
> Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
>
>> I suspect it is either the wireless device (log supports that) or your
>> hard drive - we'll either have to change the .conf or add some quirks
>> switches to the hibernate command. Failing that we can try an
>> alternative hibernate method from Sid.
>
> I never ran nm-applet this round. (I have to manually do so under fluxbox.)
> There is no way to hardware-disable WiFi on tihs netbook.

I saw one in a shop today.... does the front of yours look like this?
http://ge.tt/9NJkgG5/v

If it does - please use the switches and try again, otherwise let me
know and we'll try the next fence.

> I removed the
> bluetooth dongle before booting. It had no effect.
>
> Surely refusing to suspend because WiFi can't be connected to is broken
> behavior for a hibernate program?

Dunno - it's not "proven" it's the wireless yet.
Even then it depends on whether it does what it's supposed to do (not
the same as what we users might wish it to do).
eg. on one of my laptops the lack of a license for the sound card driver
means it's non-free - so the fact it doesn't work on resume could be
interpreted as broken behaviour(I've fixed it) - but it's not broken, it
was never designed to support that module in the first place.

> Additional info: apparently it's not actually suspending.

Makes sense considering the logs - I suspect it doesn't get to the point
where it starts writing the resume image.

> The fan stays on
> and the power button won't trigger a resume (nor will anything else).
> However, the CPU may be shut down, since the fan starts to blow cold
> exhaust, something that never happens while an OS is running, even if there
> is almost no load.

Sounds right. Only way to break out it to hold down the power button -
or pull the battery (and ps)?.

Cheers