Re: Hibernate fails

On 19/06/11 11:49, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 02:27:57PM +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 17/06/11 23:33, Carl Fink wrote:

<snipped>

>> If "disk" was listed try:-
>> # echo disk > /sys/power/state
>> And wait... (hibernation is slow, dunno why people use it...)
>> Please post your results and any new, useful logs.
>
> OK, it did what pm-hibernate does: suspended. The power light flashed
> continuously, as did the tiny LED on my bluetooth dongle, so it clearly
> never powered down. When I forced power off by holding the power button down
> and then turned the netbook back on, it did not find a hibernation image to
> resume from.

In my tests on laptops here it takes more than 5 minutes to hibernate
(less than a minute to shutdown).
Startup from hibernation - more than 5 minutes, cold boot < 2 minutes
I run some proprietary firmware and nvidia driver which may slow things.

> Here are the last lines of pm-suspend.log:
> Done.

<snipped>

Please repeat the last process - except this time toggle off blue tooth
and any other wireless devices beforehand.
Be sure to wait at least ten minutes after running:-
echo disk > /sys/power/state
Afterwards please post the output of:-
cat /var/log/pm-suspend.log | grep Failed

I suspect it is either the wireless device (log supports that) or your
hard drive - we'll either have to change the .conf or add some quirks
switches to the hibernate command. Failing that we can try an
alternative hibernate method from Sid.

Cheers