Re: Hibernate fails

On 21/06/11 12:58, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:14:28PM +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

<snipped>

>>> Surely refusing to suspend because WiFi can't be connected to is broken
>>> behavior for a hibernate program?
>>
>> Dunno - it's not "proven" it's the wireless yet.
>> Even then it depends on whether it does what it's supposed to do (not
>> the same as what we users might wish it to do).
>> eg. on one of my laptops the lack of a license for the sound card driver
>> means it's non-free - so the fact it doesn't work on resume could be
>> interpreted as broken behaviour(I've fixed it) - but it's not broken, it
>> was never designed to support that module in the first place.
>
> You're reading "broken" as "not what the programmer intended." I'm using it
> to mean "not what the end-user expects or wants." Not to be argumentative
> but I'm correct and you're wrong. :-)

No - I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken ;-p

If we can't disable wifi then we need to ensure it's working before
trying to "fix" the problem it appears to be causing hibernation.
Does the wifi work for you (under Debian)??
What is your wifi chipset??
If it requires ndiswrapper then it's a similar scenario to the Crystal
Sound codec.

Does the wifi work for you (under Debian)??

Please post the contents of /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
NOTE: remove your key before posting.

What do you use to handle wpa_supplicant's networks?? (eg. wicd,
NetworkManager)

Reference: http://w1.fi/wpa_supplicant/

>> Sounds right. Only way to break out it to hold down the power button -
>> or pull the battery (and ps)?.
>
> Correct.

Cheers