Re: Hibernate fails

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:14:28PM +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> I saw one in a shop today.... does the front of yours look like this?
> http://ge.tt/9NJkgG5/v
>
> If it does - please use the switches and try again, otherwise let me
> know and we'll try the next fence.

Sort of like that, but on mine there's no built-in bluetooth. As I wrote
before, it's a USB dongle:

> > I removed the
> > bluetooth dongle before booting. It had no effect.

The switch for WiFi on this model is not on-off, it's just a reset button.
Can't turn off anything.

I just checked and you can't even turn WiFi off in the BIOS.

> > Surely refusing to suspend because WiFi can't be connected to is broken
> > behavior for a hibernate program?
>
> Dunno - it's not "proven" it's the wireless yet.
> Even then it depends on whether it does what it's supposed to do (not
> the same as what we users might wish it to do).
> eg. on one of my laptops the lack of a license for the sound card driver
> means it's non-free - so the fact it doesn't work on resume could be
> interpreted as broken behaviour(I've fixed it) - but it's not broken, it
> was never designed to support that module in the first place.

You're reading "broken" as "not what the programmer intended." I'm using it
to mean "not what the end-user expects or wants." Not to be argumentative
but I'm correct and you're wrong. :-)

> Sounds right. Only way to break out it to hold down the power button -
> or pull the battery (and ps)?.

Correct.
--
Carl Fink                           nitpicking@nitpicking.com