Re: Accented chars in filenames issue

On 26/06/11 09:17, William Hopkins wrote:
> On 06/25/11 at 04:33pm, Scott Ferguson wrote:

<snipped>

> OK, so the files are being created, and your FS can handle the characters, but
> somehow the characters aren't being translated. So it's not an issue with your
> filesystem, it's an issue with the filesystem the original files are on. I
> assume that's NTFS? Can you try mounting it and moving a file with mv ?

Unfortunately that happened several years ago with some elses portable
drive - I only noticed the problem when moving the music collection from
ext3 to ext4 - the system kept coming up with "not found" messages when
attempting to move filenames which had ISOcharacter set accented
characters.

Fortunately I've managed to rename them using Picard and MusicBrainz -
there's far too many to do by hand.

This thread was created by someone else with a similar problem - so the
solution might be more use to them. I'm curious as to how it happened so
I can avoid it in the future though. Especially as I increasingly come
across people using the old non-UTF character sets for files.

What I should do is create some rules so that when I mount ntfs and fat
volumes in the future the problem is avoided... any suggestions'd be
appreciated.

Cheers
--
You know we armed Iraq. I wondered about that too, you know.
During the Persian Gulf war, those intelligence reports would come out: