Re: Accented chars in filenames issue

On 24/06/11 20:05, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am experiencing serious problems with my external HD, I can't
> create/write filenames containing accented chars, especially when
> copying music from my amarok collection (as you can guess a lor of
> brazilian, french and italian music has plenty of accented chars in
> filenames).
>
> Is it a locale problem? I have got all locales installed, my default
> is it_IT@euro. Tried with utf8 and others with no success.
>
> Any suggestion is appreciated.
>
> Regards Raffaele

I'm looking for a solution to the same problem.

You might find this page instructive:-
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html

My system is set to LANG=en_AU.UTF-8, filesystems ext3 and ext4, I
suspect the file names where originally created using an ISO character
set. See an example:-
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/06/pngTe0u43cmOF.png

I don't think the "no white spaces" and "no accented characters" "rule"
is valid in the 21st century. But if some one can put up an
authoritative, and recent, reason I'll reconsider.

Cheers

--
I'm tired of this back-slapping "Isn't humanity neat?" bullsh#t. We're a
virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.