Re: X on a virtual server

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 03:11:51 -0400, Eric d'Halibut wrote:

> I'm thinking that in order to set up a remote X login to a given
> machine, that X must be running and configured on that machine.

I think you can make use of x forwarding, that is, running the X server
from machine where you are connecting, not from the one you connect to.
And there is also xvfb with VNC, NX...

> But X doesn't want to configure itself on a "virtual private server"
> that has NO PHYSICAL VIDEO CARD, or so it seems to me at present.

For this I can't tell. I dunno if Xorg needs any kind of device (being
real or virtual) in order to be properly launched. But for xvfb that
should be fine.

> But surely all the computing horsepower I have available to me in my
> virtual private server (to which I have of course root access) can be
> put in the service of providing X access to that server. Am I crazy, or
> how do I set up X for remote login on a machine with no video card, or
> even no physical existence?

Do you want to run a full DE session or just run a bunch of X
applications?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón