Re: Accented chars in filenames issue

Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't think the "no white spaces" and "no accented characters"
> "rule" is valid in the 21st century. But if some one can put up an
> authoritative, and recent, reason I'll reconsider.

Since (unfortunately) there isn't anything preventing users from
creating files with names that contain special characters or spaces, you
could say that there isn't such a rule anymore.

Nonetheless I advise against it, very un-authoritatively of course,
because it can be troublesome to create files with special characters or
spaces in their names.

To give a silly example, a file named "-rf *" or "rm -rf *" could turn
out to be disastrous. Using other special characters, for example ä, ü,
ö, and ß, can give you trouble when locale settings change and may have
effects that I'm even not aware of.

It's only common sense not to create file names that are likely to yield
unexpected results.