Re: posting

On 06/23/2011 07:28 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 23/06/11 18:14, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Re: posting Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2011 #1198
>>
>> instead of
>>
>> Re: posting
>>
>> is breaking the thread?
> It no longer is part of the thread in threaded view with Icedove (or
> Thunderbird).
> *Likewise, in the online version (see "In-reply-to"):-
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/06/msg01837.html*

Just to make that clear, that is not because of the subject, but because
a reply to a digest will lack References and/or In-Reply-To headers
pointing to the replied-to message. And unlike the subject (which can be
fixed easily by taking a few seconds to edit it), most MUAs (if not all)
do not allow one to edit those headers.

Someone might say that asking for properly threaded messages is just
being picky, but it surely makes reading much easier and the list of
messages is much clearer.

> I did not know that. Out of curiosity I searched but couldn't quickly
> find any information about this.
> What "isn't fine" about GNU mailman" ??

I also know nothing about Debian "not liking" mailman. It's even
available in the archives.

I believe the reason Debian's mailing lists do not use mailman is that
they precede mailman. But this is just a guess.

--
"The great question... which I have not been able to answer... is, `What does
woman want?'"

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br