Re: x-terminal-emulator does not appear to accept comand line args

On 06/15/11 at 01:39pm, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 07:47:09PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > I would file a minor bug to add something like this in the manpage:
>
> I think a separate manpage — which describes the command-line options that
> gnome-terminal.wrapper accepts — would be more appropriate, for the following
> reasons:
>
>  • the gnome-terminal manpage comes from upstream (albeit translated from
>    another form).  Therefore adding documentation that describes the wrapper
>    to this manpage is a divergence from upstream which has no chance of
>    being merged back.  Every time the underlying manpage differs, the patch
>    will need to be rebased.  Since the underlying manpage is generated,
>    rather than being hand-written, any change in the toolchain could result
>    in such a change.
>
>  • For those who never invoke the wrapper, it will cause the gnome-terminal
>    manpage to be more cluttered and possibly more confusing.
>
>  • Similarly, for those who do run the wrapper, the gnome-terminal manpage
>    includes many options which the wrapper does not accept. A cursory skim
>    or search through the manpage will show options which it does not accept.

Given that the alternatives for x-terminal-emulator have decided to standardize
on xterm-like options, I think x-terminal-emulator needs it's own manpage
instead. Currently it is handled by alternatives and points to the manpage for
whatever you have configured.

I agree that the divergence between the manpage for x-terminal-emulator
(gnome-terminal) and the actual executable for x-terminal-emulator
(gnome-terminal.wrapper) is confusing and should be better documented.

--
Liam