Re: x-terminal-emulator does not appear to accept comand line args

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 08:13:20 -0700, briand wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:32:16 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 20:18:35 -0400, William Hopkins wrote:
>>

>> > Of course. gnome-terminal.wrapper is created solely for
>> > x-terminal-emulator use by gnome-core/gnome-terminal maintainer
>> > Christian Marillat, and it tries to present a set of options more
>> > like xterm, since x-terminal-emulator has decided on xterm-style
>> > options. Emulating a single set of options where conflicts occur is a
>> > policy decision, IIRC.
>>
>> Ah... then it is intended so no bug here, right?
>>

> But here's the problem
>
> man x-terminal-emulator brings up the man page for gnome-terminal.

Well, "man x-terminal-emulator" opens the manual page for whatever
application you have configured with update-alternatives. It can point to
gnome-terminal.wrapper (a modified version of "gnome-terminal" compatible
with xterm arguments), to gnome-terminal itself, to xterm...

> the gnome-terminal man page says that --geometry=GEOMETRY is a valid
> option.
>
> However, --geometry=GEOMETRY is NOT a valid option for
> x-terminal-emulator.
>
> So there's a bug - maybe the bug is that it pulls up the wrong man page.

I still don't think there is a bug ;-)

As I see, "gnome-terminal" and "gnome-terminal.wrapper" are different
things aimed to different usages. But hey, if you think there is
something wrong or that can be improved, just go ahead with the bug
report.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón