Re: x-terminal-emulator does not appear to accept comand line args

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 07:21:58 -0700, briand wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 11:29:10 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > I verified again.  gnome-terminal definitely uses the option and
>> > x-terminal-emulator definitely does not.
>> >
>> > This is all kind of silly.
>>
>> Hum... Jon is right. If we look at the perl script:
>>
>> sm01@stt008:~$ grep geometry /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
>>     elsif ($opt eq '-geometry')
>> 	push(@args, "--geometry=$arg");
>>
>> The accepted argument is "-geometry" that is then converted into gnome-
>> terminal parlance ("--geometry=").
>>

> There's still a bug, as the man page brings up the man page/options for
> gnome-terminal which uses "--geometry=".

I think there is no bug... let' see:

sm01@stt008:~$ grep help /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
    elsif ($opt eq '-h' || $opt eq '--help')
	push(@args, '--help');

The "help" command from "x-terminal-emulator" accepts both arguments, "-
h" and "--help") ;-)

> And here's the really interesting part, the x-terminal-emulator script:
>
>   exec('gnome-terminal',@args);
>
> So x-terminal-emulator is using -option, but telling you the whole time
> that it's going to execute gnome-terminal, for which the man page is
> different from what it's actually doing.

Hum... I'm afraid I don't follow you here :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón