Re: Desktop performance problem

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Glen Batchelor <webmaster@all-spec.com> wrote:

>   Something like this can be a nightmare to debug on a mailing list and I'm
> no kernel expert. I did see a few notices where Intel recalled some of the
> H67/P67 chips due to them being shipped with failing SATA 3G ports. That was
> back in Jan 2011 if I read correctly. The 6G ports are fine for all
> revisions and if you're using them instead of the 3G ports then it is
> completely irrelevant anyway.

Fortunately I have B3 Revision motherboard without these issues :-)

>  I may be wrong but I don't believe it is a kernel configuration issue. You
> should find out what is different between your problematic Debian setup and
> the successful Funtoo setup. Find out which drivers are being loaded for
> specific devices and get the module version as linked to the running kernel
> version, determine Xorg configuration differences, compare hardware device
> addresses and interrupt assignments, etc.

I thought this was more a structural problem with Debian's default
configurations since I've noticed it with different versions on a
variety of hardware, I've found Arch Linxu & Gentoo always very snappy
even under load whereas Debian performed sluggish under load.

Anyone else used Arch or Gentoo and noticed any differences with
Debian performance under load? .