Re: Desktop performance problem

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 15:53 +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
> I've noticed that my Debian testing desktop slows downs significantly
> when copying (and unpacking) large files. Sound stutters and iceweasel
> (and other programs) freeze regularly. This makes working on my
> desktop impossible when copying or unpacking large files, This
> happened on all my Debian desktops, on different hardware and on
> stable, testing and sid. I have also Funtoo installed, Funtoo remains
> responsive during the same operations. Therefor I suspect it must be
> an configuration problem.
>
> Is there an (kernel)option that need to be changed to increase
> performance? Thus far I have tried changing Preemption Model and Timer
> frequency without noticeable results. Thanks in advance!

Does top show something unusual?

I can confirm similar, not as extreme as it seems to be for you, with
Ubuntu Maverick, Debian stable and testing. For Ubuntu Maverick it might
be even more evil as for you. There something uses 90% CPU, can't
remember the name and won't reboot and there's a zombie for every GNOME
session.