Re: k3b can't burn audio CD, got a few coasters today

On 12/06/11 07:18 AM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 12/06/11 11:01, H.S. wrote:
> <snipped>
>>
>> So, doesn't look like hal is playing any role anymore, much to my surprise.
>>

> Don't worry about it.
> As stated earlier no mounting is involved. It's unlikely HAL, udev, or
> dbus is a factor in the problem (based on the adequate information
> you've given)
>
> For the following suggestions try using a single 16-bit WAV file - this
> will make testing quicker, and, hopefully, remove the chance that the
> error is occurring during the "convert to WAV process" or TOC creation.
> Let me know if you'd like me to direct email you a WAV file.

Thanks for the offer of helping with a wav file. I converted my mp3s to
wav files using soundconvertor, edited the wav files' tags in k3b and
burned the disc. Went quite well.

Now, I am not sure what to read from this. I was, after all, able to
burn mp3 files directly to make an audio CD a few times in the last few
days.

I suppose I need to repeat the experiment with another set of mp3 files
and see how it goes.

> Does Nautilus have an option allowing you to create an audio CD image file?
> If so try it. (let's try and isolate the CD/DVD drive from the list of
> factors)
> If not,try burning another audio CD (from you dwindling stack of blanks)
> using Nautilus.

Not worried about the coasters as much as I am about the reliability of
the Debian system that I am used to.

I couldn't find an option in Nautilus to make a an audio cd. I gave up
on Nautilus for this task.

> Try setting K3b to the lowest speed and burn an image only,without cd
> text enabled.

That I haven't tried yet. Well, actually, I did try a fixed speed of 40x
or so (instead of the top 48x) and got the same problem. Maybe a much
lower speed will be one of the experiments.

> I see a couple of weird things in your K3b log:-
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> (and as noted by tv.debian) the fifo error - which shows the failure is
> very early in the audio cd creation process. Follow his (sic)
> suggestions - I'll have a read of your reply.

I will try losf and fuser next time.

> I'm reasonably certain it's not a permissions or group membership problem.

So am I, since in that case I would get the problem every time.

Thanks.

ever having been read.