Re: k3b can't burn audio CD, got a few coasters today

On 12/06/11 06:12 AM, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi, answers inline.
>
>> 12/06/2011 00:12, H.S. wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have experienced this problem on and off for the past several months.
>> But today it was the worst case. I am trying to burn a bunch of mp3
>> files to make an audio CD using k3b. I was able to so do for the first
>> one after burning only a single coaster. The second one is still not
>> done and I already have wasted 5 discs in the process.
>>
> [trim]
>> The permissions for my optical drive are:
>> $ ls -l /dev/dvd*
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jun 11 16:36 /dev/dvd -> sr0
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jun 11 16:36 /dev/dvdrw -> sr0
>> $ ls -al /dev/sr0
>> brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 Jun 11 16:36 /dev/sr0
>>
>> and do belong to 'cdrom' group.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Look into the "configuration" k3b menu, "set system permissions", make
> sure there isn't a funny group attributed to the burning task.

They seem to be fine, root:cdrom

> Given your kde version you don't need hal at all, purge it, it's a
> plague anyway. Just make sure you don't have any Gnome or whatever
> programs which needs it (hwinfo still needs it I think, maybe others).

I see. Hal is not installed any way (got automatically removed
yesterday). Some related libs remain, however. deborphan doesn't list
them, so for now I will trust aptitude to have good reason to keep those.

>> Used versions
>> -----------------------
>> cdrecord: 1.1.11
>>
>> cdrecord
>> -----------------------
>> /usr/bin/wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise
>> RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.
>
> This my be a hint...

I noticed that. But I can't make head nor tail of it at this point. The
only thing that irks me is that gnome's nautilus pops up everytime I
insert a blank disc while running KDE. Could that be a problem? Don't
know, since I have been able to burn audio cd from mp3 a few times in
the last week.

> This isn't very specific, it could be another program poling and holding
> the drive, did you try "lsof" or "fuser" the device node to see if
> something is using it ? I also got this kind of errors with permissions
> problems, but yours look good.

I will try it again. Meanwhile, I was able to burn the same track after
converting them to wav using soundconvertor.

Regards.

ever having been read.