Re: Samba or NFS--tangent

On 06/04/2011 06:21 PM, Doug wrote:
On 06/04/2011 02:53 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 06/04/2011 01:31 AM, Doug wrote:
[snip]
I opened the suggested url, and read the following intro: "*Reader
Prerequisites*: To get the most from this
article, understand the following concepts before reading: basic unix
command line tools, text editors,
DNS, TCP/IP, DHCP, netmask, gateway"

I'm not afraid of command line tools and I can use nano or pico, or mc
(yes, I've been around

What do you current use to configure networking in Linux? (You must
get to the Internet somehow...)

I have a router with ethernet connections from each machine. (Or
wireless, if the laptop is not wired in.)
The router connects to a cable modem, and off we go. It is even possible
to connect two machines to
the internet at once--one playing streaming audio from a radio station
in Texas, and one downloading
or uploading email, or Googling. Nobody ever told me it was impossible,
so I just do it. Or,
since all the machines are multi-tasking, it's possible to Google while
listening to music on the
same machine. (I normally use the main Linux machine for email and net
searching, and the
Win 7 machine for music, since its sound card is output to a hi-fi
system. If I want to do any
serious writing, I use the Windows machine with WordPerfect on it. No
M/S or M/S clone comes close.)

So, as William says, you *do* have successfully implemented a LAN in your apartment.

What you now need is "File And Print Sharing".

Since the printer is plugged into the Win7 machine, Samba is your only choice.

(I'd suggest that you give static IP addresses to your desktop machines and use the /etc/hosts file -- yes, even Windows has one -- to give your machines permanent symbolic names. Makes things easier that way.)

corrupt."