Re: Samba or NFS--tangent

On 06/04/2011 01:30 AM, William Hopkins wrote:
On 06/04/11 at 12:58am, Doug wrote:
On 06/03/2011 11:28 PM, William Hopkins wrote:
On 06/03/11 at 10:02pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 06/03/2011 11:43 AM, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
[snip]
NFS is by far simpler to use in pure Linux environment, Samba is for
Windows networks. NFS has no passwords, just install it with apt-get,
and declare /etc/exports in the server, and mount the shares in the
clients /etc/fstab. That's all it takes.

Fine for home environments, but shouldn't an office environment use
LDAP for coordinated UID/GID sharing?

/snip/

Not to steal the thread, but those who read this probably are the best to
advise me.  I know nothing about networking, but I would like to set up
a peer-to-peer network ...
Peer to peer typically refers to filesharing programs. Can you explain what it is you want?
I assume you've already got a network up, is it file sharing you mean?

If that's so, you probably don't even need samba. Just smbfs/smbclient on the linux clients to read the stuff on the Windows 7 box.

No, I don't have a network up.  As I said, I really don't know anything about networks.  What I want is not only file sharing,
but the ability to use the Win 7 machine as a print server.  (Linux is not fit to be a print server since it takes forever to
print .pdf's. Maybe someday. . . .)  Also, the Win 7 machine is closer to the printers, which are hard-wired.  All of the machines
are connected by ethernet or wireless. but the printers don't have either.
--doug

Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley