Re: Samba or NFS

Hi,

On 3/6/2011 19:50 Axel Freyn wrote:
[...]
> For NFSv4 this has changed. You can use NFSv4 in different modes. The
> easy one has the same problem.
> However, you can switch on strong authentification (based on Kerberos),
> then it's safe (the server verifies that the client has the correct
> Kerberos-token of this user -- UID is not sufficient), and even ask to
> sign all transfers (to block man-in-the-middle-attacks which could
> change the commands sent to the server) and encryption (to protect data
> privacy).
>
> However, it's much more work to install, as you also need a full
> Kerberos-setup....

I haven't looked at all into Kerberos, but sort of considering it. So I
was wondering, if it is worth (or even just work) when I just have a
server client network and no extra kerberos server? Or is Kerberos
rendered useless if I let it run on the same server that hosts the nfs
server?

Cheers,
Simon