Re: Samba or NFS--tangent

On 06/03/2011 11:28 PM, William Hopkins wrote:
On 06/03/11 at 10:02pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 06/03/2011 11:43 AM, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
[snip]
NFS is by far simpler to use in pure Linux environment, Samba is for
Windows networks. NFS has no passwords, just install it with apt-get,
and declare /etc/exports in the server, and mount the shares in the
clients /etc/fstab. That's all it takes.

Fine for home environments, but shouldn't an office environment use
LDAP for coordinated UID/GID sharing?

/snip/

Not to steal the thread, but those who read this probably are the best to
advise me.  I know nothing about networking, but I would like to set up
a peer-to-peer network among a Windows 7 and two Linux machines, one of
which can also be booted to XP. (If one absolutely *must* be a "master" it must
be the Windows 7 machine.)  I assume I would use samba.  I don't need any
security--all the machines are mine, here in the house with me, and I live alone. What I need is words of one syllable on how to do it. Is there a "Networks For
Dummies" for me somewhere?

Thanx--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley