Re: ia64 and i386

Shouldn't the subject be "AMD64 and i386"?

On 30/05/11 03:57 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2011 15:21:37 -0400, Celejar wrote:

On Tue, 24 May 2011 21:14:38 +0530
Mihira Fernando<mihiratheace@gmail.com>  wrote:

Adobe flashplayer comes to mind as well. While there is a 64 bit
player, I've found that the 32bit one plays without any hiccups that
the 64bit one seems to have (No need to have flash is evil debates
here. Some of us wants to watch youtube and other flash sites).

Just FTR (although you probably know this), Flash isn't required for
YouTube; you can grab the videos with youtube-dl / clive, and play them
with your favorite video player. There are many advantages to this
method, including:

With YouTube in particular, I find HTML5 and Gnash work very well on my "free" systems. YMMV.

1) Better playback controls (as per a recent thread here)

I've found that those helper apps (like the "DownloadThemAll" firefox
extension) do not always work with all of the flash video sites out
there. I dunno exactly why though my guess is that they fail when
javascript comes into play.

And don't forget that videos are only a litte part of the flash based
sites, there games and online applications that depend on flash.

I think it's sites that require flash for navigation that are an even more serious issue.

3) Flash is evil ;)

Let me be a bit more picky here. Flash is evil because Adobe made it so.
Adobe's Flash Player, completely open, properly done, developed and
programmed could have its use.

So, Flash is evil because it's not open source, and has been allowed to become a "standard" of sorts.

George