Re: So much for Skype.

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 08:31, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>> Which the OS allows them, so I pass no blame on the Skype devs.
>>

> My automobile allows me to drive w/o being buckled up.  Do you blame the
> manufacturer or do you blame me for driving w/o buckling up?

Strawman. Your automobile is not charged with the responsibility to
protect the safety of yourself or your passengers. In order to add
that responsibility to the automobile, one would have to introduce new
features.

Conversely, the Linux kernel is charged with enforcing user
privileges. The setuid feature is added on to override that
enforcement. The setuid feature is dangerous, as you yourself brought
up. It should be limited by either:
1) Disabled by default, and packages which use it should require
special permission either at runtime or install (not at compile time).
This should be enforced by the kernel.
2) Detailed logging.

--
Dotan Cohen