Re: So much for Skype.

On 05/22/2011 11:22 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 06:29, Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson@cox.net>  wrote:
I was thinking of setuid() magic.

Again an OS issue,

Insofar as the OS provides the feature.

                   not a Skype issue.

Yet, *if* Skype uses the function it's because Skype's programmers programmed Skype to use the function.

                                       I agree that since root must
install Skype, and since root then owns Skype, the application might
setuid. But this is an OS feature, not a Skype feature. How is this
not a concern with any other closed-source application that one must
install? I could understand derailing the thread into a closed-source
vs. open-source debate, which while very productive would not address
the issue at hand.

It's a concern with *all* programs that need to stray from your little protected zone.

For that matter, though, I do agree that setuid is a security risk and
not well mitigated. Maybe the issue needs to be dealt with already:
how would you suggest changing the kernel behaviour to mitigate the
risk? A warning or log entry each time an application uses setuid? At
install, at runtime, or both? Something else?

corrupt."