Re: So much for Skype.

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 07:40, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>>> I was thinking of setuid() magic.
>>
>> Again an OS issue,
>
> Insofar as the OS provides the feature.

Indeed, this really is a convenience-before-security feature that
reminds me of a certain prolific software vendor. Give me an hour or
two, I'd like to start a new thread on this because I really do think
that it is a problem that needs addressing sooner rather than later.

>>                   not a Skype issue.
>
> Yet, *if* Skype uses the function it's because Skype's programmers
> programmed Skype to use the function.

Which the OS allows them, so I pass no blame on the Skype devs.

>>                                       I agree that since root must
>> install Skype, and since root then owns Skype, the application might
>> setuid. But this is an OS feature, not a Skype feature. How is this
>> not a concern with any other closed-source application that one must
>> install? I could understand derailing the thread into a closed-source
>> vs. open-source debate, which while very productive would not address
>> the issue at hand.
>>

> It's a concern with *all* programs that need to stray from your little
> protected zone.

Indeed. I did find this application, but it seems to be far from adequate:
http://www.cims.nyu.edu/cgi-comment/info2html?%28cfengine-Tutorial%29The%2520setuid%2520log

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il