Re: UUID - autmatically entries? (?OT)

On 20110521_175742, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 21 May 2011 11:33:17 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
>
> > The install program seems to automatically rewrite UUIDs if you ask it
> > to erase a partition. IMHO, the method for handling disk naming is still
> > a work in progress. In the meantime, my particular kluge involves using
> > labels. They are shorter to type and easier to remember.
>
> (...)
>
> I'd say there is no perfect method to manage this.

But sometimes the perfect is the enemy of the vastly better. I simply
cannot believe that the current situation will persist through the
next several releases of Debian. Something better will be found, IMHO.

> I still miss the old-plain-intuitive method for designating block devices
> (hda → first ide, hdb → second ide device, sda → first scsi/sata device,
> etc...) but we have to cope the new changes because they are vry much
> needed (nowadays we connect many devices of diverse nature, most of them
> hot-swappable and they cannot overlap).
>
> In this regard, every user chooses the best method for identifying hard
> disks (I like labels for removable devices and uuid/id for fixed hard
> disks) but lastly this is just a matter of convenience, here there is no
> "one size fits all", no method is perfect for all the situations and all
> of them have their own drawbacks.

I agree that labels are good on hot pluggable devices. I think that
happens under Gnome, at least in some circumstances. (or at least it has
happened on my computer at times when I have had Gnome installed.)

I think labels could be made to work for internal devices with a small
measure of cooperation from the installer. What is needed, in my naive
opinion, is that the installer use a label if one present on a
partition and if it does not conflict with a label that it has already
seen in a once through scan of the block special devices. Only if
there is a name collision would it use a UUID, and it would generate a
new UUID only if the pre-existing UUID conflicts with an already seen
the UUID that is on a unlabeled partition.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net