Re: Wheezy: monitor signal lost when leaving X

Op Sat, 21 May 2011 11:07, Arno Schuring wrote:
> Siard (on 2011-05-21 02:23 +0200):
> > Op Fri, 20 May 2011 13:37 +0200, Arno Schuring wrote:
> > > Siard (on 2011-05-19 19:48 +0200):
> > >
> > > What graphics card/video driver are you using?
> >
> > ATi 9500 / R300.
>
> Ok. I'm using R9550 here, so same generation. I'm also running the
> same software stack, except for xserver-xorg-video-radeon, which is
> from experimental on my machine.
>
> > > Does it also happen if you press ctrl-alt-f1 while logged in in X?
> >
> > No, and then from the console I can power off the machine normally.
>
> That's weird. In that case, I think the problem is not with kernel
> modesetting itself, but X somehow misbehaves when shutting down.
> Should you be able to pin it down, you could file a bug against
> xserver-xorg-video-radeon.

I finally found that the problem goes away if I downgrade
xserver-xorg-video-ati and xserver-xorg-video-radeon from 6.14.1-1 to
6.13.1-2, which is the version from Stable.
B.t.w., it did pull a bunch of other downgrades with it.

Your explanation about disabling modesetting looks interesting enough
to have a look at one day (thanks!), but that does not appear to be at
issue now.

> > > Not likely. Also, look in the archives for a better solution (it
> > > has been posted somewhere in the last week), or search the
> > > Internet for "AllowEmptyInput".
> >
> > Again, I did a new Wheezy install, it now includes the /run
> > directory. xorg.conf did not exist in /etc/X11, so I created one
> > with these contents:
>
> Do you have unstable enabled, or only testing? I'm running Wheezy as
> well (though not a new install), and the /run directory hasn't
> appeared for me yet.

I have only lines for wheezy in /etc/apt/sources.list.

> > Section "ServerFlags"
> >      Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
> >      Option "AllowEmptyInput" "False"
> > EndSection
> >
> > But alas, still no working keyboard & mouse.
> > They _did_ work after deleting /run.
>
> Please try with AutoAddDevices set to true, since udev does correctly
> recognize the devices.

That does not make mouse + keyboard work either.
At boot time I see this line:

    startpar: service(s) returned failure: udev... failed!

This line does not appear when /run is not present.

> Assuming your mouse+keyboard are usb devices, package to file a bug
> against is xserver-xorg-input-evdev. The problem might be in udev or
> even initscripts, but it's safer to let the maintainers figure out
> which package than guessing yourself.

Nope, my mouse + keyboard are PS/2 devices.