Re: UUID - autmatically entries?

On 20110521_184436, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> during an update all devices were changed from /dev/sdX to its UUID.
>
> This included /etc/fstab and /etc/crypttab. Does somebody know, which package
> did the changes? As I had to reinstall and used my old configurations (backup),
> my UUIDs are now wrong. Of course, I can edit all files manually, but if a
> script or a package does that automaticaly, it would be easier and avoid
> errors (i.e. typos).
>
> Just another question: Can UUIDs be changed or must they stay forever? (I saw

Yes, they can be changed. Use the -U option in either mkfs.ext3 to set
a particular UUID while making the fs, or in tune2fs to overwrite an
existing UUID with one that is more to your liking. If you maintain a
small database of UUID values for your disks, you might be able to
automate. Or look into establishing for yourself a policy of using
LABEL on all your disk partitions.

The install program seems to automatically rewrite UUIDs if you ask it
to erase a partition. IMHO, the method for handling disk naming is
still a work in progress. In the meantime, my particular kluge
involves using labels. They are shorter to type and easier to remember.

My understanding is that a UUID is just a string of hex characters of
the defined length and with embedded hyphens at the defined internal
locations. Generate a half a dozen and they are almost certainly all
different, even if you are using a very bad random number generator.
That they are all different is what makes them useful. The problem is
highly over intellectualized.

HTH