Re: UUID - autmatically entries?

On Sat, 21 May 2011 11:33:17 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

> The install program seems to automatically rewrite UUIDs if you ask it
> to erase a partition. IMHO, the method for handling disk naming is still
> a work in progress. In the meantime, my particular kluge involves using
> labels. They are shorter to type and easier to remember.

(...)

I'd say there is no perfect method to manage this.

I still miss the old-plain-intuitive method for designating block devices
(hda → first ide, hdb → second ide device, sda → first scsi/sata device,
etc...) but we have to cope the new changes because they are vry much
needed (nowadays we connect many devices of diverse nature, most of them
hot-swappable and they cannot overlap).

In this regard, every user chooses the best method for identifying hard
disks (I like labels for removable devices and uuid/id for fixed hard
disks) but lastly this is just a matter of convenience, here there is no
"one size fits all", no method is perfect for all the situations and all
of them have their own drawbacks.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón