UUID - autmatically entries?

Hi all,

during an update all devices were changed from /dev/sdX to its UUID.

This included /etc/fstab and /etc/crypttab. Does somebody know, which package
did the changes? As I had to reinstall and used my old configurations (backup),
my UUIDs are now wrong. Of course, I can edit all files manually, but if a
script or a package does that automaticaly, it would be easier and avoid
errors (i.e. typos).

Just another question: Can UUIDs be changed or must they stay forever? (I saw
the application "uuid-gen", which creates a new one, but seems not to make
them active)

Thanks for any hints.

Cheers

Hans